HBSGrid maintenance was performed on Monday, July 6th.
How did this affect you?
- Files in the scratch space (/export/scratch) were deleted if they hadn’t been modified in over 60 days
- You will now be able to be in more than 16 groups, including project spaces
- Larger jobs should schedule faster after improving the scheduler processes
- OpenOffice Calc is available for level 4 users as the Unix alternative to Microsoft Office/Excel
- Upgraded versions of Mathematica and Stat/Transfer are available via opt-in software modules from the command line (they will also be available via GUI after our next maintenance window)
What work was performed?
- All nodes and servers were rebooted
- We installed a patch to the storage appliance to facilitate membership in more than 16 LDAP groups
- We made LSF queue definitions for large resource requests and enabled backfill scheduling for better throughput
- OpenOffice replaced LibreOffice and is included on the Applications menu
- We ran the scratch filesystem retention script, which deletes files and empty directories that haven't been modified in the last 60 days
- We have begun deployment of Lmod software modules on an opt-in basis (see below)
- New versions of Mathematica and Stat/Transfer are installed and accessible via software modules (they will be available for GUI/wrapper script users after our next maintenance window)
Full details are provided in a separate News notice.
Note for MATLAB Users:
We are still running into issues with MATLAB. Until we find a solution, please do not run MATLAB jobs because they will fail. We will send a follow-up email to HBSGrid users once the issues have been fixed, and we will also be providing details regarding new features on the HBS Grid.
(7/7/2020: This has now been remedied)
NEW software modules:
We are excited to announce the roll out of software modules within the next few weeks. Using software modules will allow for greater research flexibility, by providing multiple software versions and titles for users. New versions of MATLAB, Mathematica, and Stat/Transfer will be available for immediate use. Please stay tuned for more details.
NOTE to NoMachine Users:
During the August maintenance (8/3), we will switch the default versions of MATLAB to v2020a, Mathematica to v12.1, and StatTransfer to v15 for the Application drop-down menus and wrapper scripts. Please check to ensure your scripts can work with these new versions. We will also communicate how you can change those defaults using the software modules system. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank you for your anticipated cooperation as we make improvements to the HBSGrid. Our next maintenance will occur on Monday, August 3rd. We may also schedule a brief maintenance 'pause' on July 16th. If you have any questions/comments, please email us at email@example.com.